When people start taking their BBQ seriously, one of the first things that they want to cook is beer can chicken. Here is a step by step tutorial.
Beer Can Chicken Instructions
1) Prepare your smoker at 350. Most woods go well with chicken, I usually go with a fruit wood like Apple or Cherry. Don't over do it with a stronger wood like Hickory and Mesquite.
2) Dry the chicken thoroughly and if you can, leave it to air dry in your fridge overnight.
3) The next day, apply a binder like Olive Oil cooking spray to help the seasoning adhere. We spray our chicken with Duck Fat cooking spray. Any cooking spray or olive oil will work.
4) Season the outside of your chicken liberally with your preferred rub. Try to get some rub under the skin for more flavor.
5) Make sure your beer is at room temperature. Placing your chicken on top of a cold beer will slow down the cooking process. Remove the top of the beer with a can opener or kitchen shears and remove 1/3 - 1/2 of the beer.
6) Place a tablespoon of the rub in the can. Add aromatics like thyme, rosemary, sage and garlic to the can. Place the can in your beer can holder. Then place the chicken on the beer can with the can going into the chicken cavity.
7) Place the chicken upright in your cooker. A typical chicken will take from 90 to 120 minutes but don't assume the chicken is ready based on time. Buy an instant read thermometer and make sure that the chicken is at least 160 in the breast. The internal temp will carry over to 165 while the chicken is resting. The dark meat should in the 175-180 range.
8) Baste the chicken a few times during the cook with melted butter to help keep it moist and add flavor.
9) If you choose to sauce, wait until the chicken is almost to temperature. The sugar in the sauce will burn if you apply it too early.
10) Let the chicken rest for at least 10 - 15 minutes to allow those juices to settle. Then carve and enjoy your moist & flavorful beer can chicken!
Please consider supporting this website through the affiliate links for products that may have been mentioned in the video. While I will receive a small commission, you will not pay more for products purchased via the links below.
Meat Church The Gospel BBQ Rub - https://amzn.to/3x33sib
Beer Can Chicken Holder -https://amzn.to/3doUBPX
Olive Oil Cooking Spray - https://amzn.to/32oJFvl
Video Posted On 4/18/21